Wednesday, February 11, 2009

9th Agers Display a Fundamental with Style!

At Calvert, we are well-known for our emphasis on the fundamentals, which to many mean "reading, writing, and arithmetic." Those three subjects do not fully encompass, however, the Calvert fundamentals. When I speak of the fundamentals, I always include "public speaking" with the aforementioned "3Rs." From an early age, Calvert students have opportunities to speak and present in front of their classmates and teachers, give oral reports, and perform on stage. For generations, Calvert students have been taught, while in the Lower School Auditorium, to "speak to the eagle" in a strong, clear voice. Each time I step on stage as Head Master, I vividly recall moments from my childhood on the same stage, in the same Auditorium.

Today, the 9th Age girls and boys performed "The Baltimore Barnyard" and "The Sneetches," respectively. Both plays were excellent--funny, creative, and spirited! I heartily congratulate the students and teachers for their outstanding work. The students did a great job speaking (and singing) clearly and loudly to the packed audience. I stood in the back and heard every word. The boys and girls were obviously having a wonderful time on stage. I could feel their enthusiasm and happiness. I was definitely one proud Head Master this morning. Please enjoy a few pictures below.